Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Mandarin & Han yu pin yin

I dislike it when people refer me by my Chinese name & try to disregard my English name.
First of all, my English name was finalized at birth far before my Chinese name. Hence, my Chinese name was 'created' for the sake of pleasing the older generation (my grandparents). My parents both were true Chinese illiterate & gave me weird name for my 1st Chinese name, Yen. I have always been addressed by my English name. My 1st name.

So, when people do that, I strictly feel that it's a disrespect toward me.
So much so that I condemned it by suggesting that I should really omit my Chinese name.

When my hubby found out that my friend recently named her baby without a Chinese name, he said it would be difficult in Chinese class, presuming that the baby would finally be receiving her education in Singapore. (Chinese is a compulsory 2nd language). That would be so sad for her. Not because she had to learn Mandarin/Chinese, but because there would be no condusive environment for her to learn Chinese. Both parents Chinese illiterate. So are all the four grandparents. So, what mother tongue are we exactly talking about?

I have always been against Mandarin education as I was brought up to believe such. Today I realized how Chinese education lead to so many auspicious believes: how they played with number 8, certain characters, numbers, births, dates etc. Because I remember how my poor aunty was rejected at birth because she's believed to bring terrible disaster to her family. Even her foster family returned her to my grandmother after few years believing that all the 'disasters' were brought upon them by her. Having no where to give her to, my grandmother had to keep her. She was always 'verbally' tortured, brought up to believed that she's not meant to be.
All that lead to low-self esteem.

She became someone's else's 2nd wife. Not legally. You know what Malaysia in the older days are like..

I may be exaggerating by bringing this into the picture. As I read the recent books I bought about Chinese culture & literature, I understand why Chinese believed the way they do.

Only surprisingly, they still believed in 'auspicious' & 'omen' after thousands of years.

Even as the society progress, when they have no answer to their misgiving, they turned to this for excuse. Without sometimes looking at their own behaviour & up-bringing.

Okay, culture aside.
I seriously dislike Mandarin because (I found that many people who learned Chinese/Mandarin as their primary language) I have difficulty understanding them when they speak English. They either speak with direct translation from Chinese (which is pure insult to either language) or they can't pronouce many words properly.

It takes few seconds to translate their pronounciations,.. as
b & p,
d & t,
g & k,
z & c are used totally confused from the master creator of the alphabets.
Besides, they somehow believe they can't roll their tongue to say R. Mostly the same 'species'.
Oh, it does drive me up the wall. (ANd now, they're affecting me TOO!)

German, Dutch, French, English, Portugese & Spanish may have use them differently, but the basics will stay. Only a few letters will change. Even with my Malay education background, English isn't a problem to me.

So who says anyone can't master two languages or more????

I have laid the rule that my children shall not receive Mandarin as their primary education for the fear of this problem.

So what(?!) that I'm of Chinese heritage? As far as I know, when my grandparents sailed out of China, they knew there was no turning back. Besides, both of them (sorry, all four of them) DO NOT SPEAK A SINGLE WORD OF MANDARIN.

Yes, with China booming, Every 'Chinese' all over the world are swarming in to learn Mandarin. But with Taiwan having a major influence, some may get caught in between as to which Mandarin to master (namely HongKonger). And with both China & Taiwan being loggerheads with each other, I doubt they'll unify the Mandarin usage. Imagine, American English, British English, Australian English & New Zealander English. All four English language countries, sometimes you can barely understand the other if you're familiar with one (excuse frequent travelers please). I'm not just talking about accents, but Pronounciations & grammer usage.

Well,.. back to people "Swarming In" to learn Mandarin. With so many people trying to enter the market, they'd be extremely proud. And when the society or market matures.. They'd be very judgemental.
Remember when people were so keen to learn Japanese?
People stop not because Japan became less popular. But because they are so proud of their language, if you can't speak it well, pls do no insult the language by speaking you menial Japanese.
Eventually, they learn English too.
The same is already happening for the Chinese.

Many Chinese are learning English. Their population is so huge, their society is advancing fast. Thinking about entering Chinese market? Now is your chance. DO it late, you''ll be scorned. For your lousy Mandarin. Remember, for you to be up to par with them, no matter how, your mandarin will never be up to their standard.
They will see you as 'hua-ren', but you are no 'Chong-kuo ren".

Call me stubborn. But I don't care. I can learn Mandarin for public's sake. But don't condemn me just because I'm have yellow skin. That is how 'English' students in Singapore gave up learning Mandarin. That is not challenging, that is oppressing. This leads to discourage.

My mother tongue is Hokkien.
My husband's mother tongue is Cantonese.
Mandarin IS THE national language of China.

You can never accused me of neglecting mother tongue.
Truthfully, I think people who can't speak their own dialect are the one neglecting their mother tongue.

I only neglect my ancester's national language. But they had decided that China is long past them anyway. I'm not migrating back to China. THey would never accept me anyway. Why bother?

8 comments:

Panffy said...

Is that the reason why you want to bring you kids back to Malaysia?

silly me said...

aiyo, so much theory just for the sake of a language?

i'll say, it's the people and not the language or education... my uncle is a pure "english" ed person and he is as superstitious as can be... my hubby is chinese ed and he is not into all those stuff either...

being chinese ed is good if you intend to send your kids all the way in chinese... no point going to a chinese primary and "kebangsaan" or english secondary... then you become a jack of all trade...

i was brought up in a kebangsaan school, 11 years in convent and 2 in ACS, i speak mandarin, enough to fool people that i am from a chinese school... when i was in china, people asked me if i am from "tang shan"...

people have different thinking/ideas when it comes to languages... to me, the more language you understand/speak the better...

Esther Jane from mummy's eyes said...

WEll.. Yea... China is so huge. A malay once cheated that he's from Sing Jiang (watever), the place near Turkey or something.

So whereever is this Tang Shan..
I've heard various mandarin.. Some don't sound like mandarin.

Jack of All Trades is good. But master of one makes you very unmarketable. Nobody is master of various.

Duh... said...

Err... Ms 'Silly Me'.. No offence but ahh... May I
asked what were you wearing when you were in China??

There tend to be an identity to speaking mandarin.. Believe me.. I can guarantee you won't be speaking like one. Wherever in China that is.

silly me said...

the thing is, people likes it when you speak their language... so when you are in china, and you speak mandarin, they tend to treat you well... i mean, this is not only in China right? when you are in france, try speaking to them in french, although you may be only 1% accurate, the people will still treat you well...

oh by the way, tang shan is where we all come from (this is solely my believe, no proof whatsoever)... ask your ancestors and they will tell you they come from "teng sua" and there is where the hokkien word for chinese "teng nang" comes from... technically speaking, chinese is known as "hwa ren" that is why mandarin is known as "hwa yue" so where they hell does "teng nang" comes from, answer is "teng sua" and i do believe i speak a funny slang of mandarin, but that could be attributed to the fact that malaysian chinese comes from "teng sua" and probably we will understand the "teng sua" slang better than we understand the general mandarin spoken in china...

to the the chinese, we malaysian chinese are never really chinese... to them we are all malays... when i was there, the people whom i work with refer to us as "Mah Lai Ren" and i bet you know what that means...

oh, and by the way, i have no idea why you asked what was i wearing when i was there?

aquaelffe said...

everything is said so sooooo true. How I wish this can be repeated to every cheena and "chinese" singaporenas, malaysians and other pro-mandarin/china people. I'm sure the taiwanese are grateful for the "insights" into the so-called "mother tongue" and the same goes for the hongkies...

my mother tongue is malay, hokkien, canto and kristang...

Mandarin is actually the mother tongue of Northern chinese only. even if you travel to guangdong (canton) today, they speak cantonese. travel to amony (present day xiamen) they speak hokkien.

pepper said...

Hi,
I read your post with horror and sadness.

1) Speaking English doesn't make you an English, neither does speaking Chinese (Mandarin to be correct) makes you a Chinese

2) Chinese is the citizen of China, mandarin is the common language of "Hua Ren".

3)"Hua Ren" refers to Hans & all other ethnics group that originated from China.

4) "Han Zhi" is the written language for all 'Hua Ren" be it Cantonese of Hokkien.

5) How do you expect someone else to know that you and your parents are "Chinese" illiterate, given that you look like a "Hua Ren"?

6) No doubt, there are a lot of "Hua Ren" who are superstitious, but it does not imply that the language is at fault?

7) So what if many people you know speaks English with a direct translation from Chinese or they can't pronounce many English words properly? I bet just as many English, French, Japanese can't pronounce Mandarin words or construct a sentence in Mandarin correctly. I doubt you can pronounce all English or Malay words correctly? Key is they make an effort to communicate with you.

8) German, Dutch, French, English, Portuguese & Spanish, they all belongs to the same Language family (Indo-European), thus the close construction of the language.

9) Which Mandarin to master? There is only one to master. The Taiwanese and Hongkonger version of Mandarin is heavily influence by the dialects they speak.

Last but not least, who would not be proud of their own language or the fact that someone else is keen to learn their language? The fact that you don't feel proud about it is because you cannot associate with it. Simply said, you cannot claim to be a Malay, nor an English. No matter how hard you or your parents try to dissociate yourself with your "Hua Ren" root, you are still a "Hua Ren"


You have every right to your preferred language but please do not condemn other language, whether it is Mandarin or English and any others.

Guus said...

A Dutchman based in Singapore, I would say that learning a new language is always an enrichment and opens new doors for you. But there is no point to learn 'half a language'. Everyone will need to make their own choices.

I am taking the time to learn mandarin here in Singapore and find that it pays off handsomely in extending my social circle and getting in touch with people with whom I could otherwise barely communicate.