Monday, February 5, 2007

Chinese New Year 2007

Sometimes I dislike Chinese New Year. All expectations & expenditures arise during the festive period.

This will be my first Chinese New Year as a married lady. My hubby will be away though. From 1st day to 6th day. I will be around on 2nd day. But ain't looking forward to it. I don't even feel like going back hometown. DOn't want to give ang pow for the first time without him around. So incomplete.

It isn't that I don't want to give ang pow. I think it's really fun. I was proud standing next to him when he had currency notes changed in the bank. We were talking about the amount to give closest relatives, relatives, friends & acquaintances.
'yan mo tou, hong pow to yu tou'

Now I am planning to work throughout the Chinese NEw Year to rid of the lonely feeling.

Heck with the CNY days itself. Now the preparation period is merry & jolly. However, certain businesses isn't pleasing.

I have always like to eat ba-kwa (dried meat). I would even buy it for consumption from time to time. However now is the busy time for the ba-kwa sellers.
I went to buy some today. Simply just want to eat it myself. I'm home alone for few days.

I don't know how cocky & weird people can get sometimes. I went to the stall yesterday. They snapped me off to tell me to queue. I queued awhile. I gave up. I see so many people working in the store but only one serving customers. One serve, one pack, one seal, one cashier. I think my nieces & nephew can do a better job. (They are 9, 6 & 3yrs old). What the heck???

This only happened during the season.

I went to buy today. Normally buying one packet takes about 2minutes. I didn't have to queue today. Yet, it took 10min. That's 1/5 of the regular productivity. Is the trick to make them cause queue to look famous? I counted 7staffs in the store. I shot a remark about the scene. She defended that it would be chaotic if everyone does the same job.
Take customers order of types & weight, wrap, pack & pass to cashier. Why is it chaotic?
The store is well secured & lined. & this is Singapore.
Chaotic is probably mismanagement & thef. I wonder what are their worries.

Duh..

Anyway, she took wrong order. I don't know if she doesn't understand Hokkien. Because I told her 'pua-ken' (1/2 kati). She packed half kilo for me.

Singapore.. Probably nobody will be able to speak their own dialect Hokkien after 20years. I wonder who are really the banana people then?

1 comment:

silly me said...

looks like i have company this year... my hubby is around, but is as good as not around...

at this point of time, i am spending my weekends alone, and i have to do my new year shopping alone... so sian and lonely ler...

and yes, i have to eat my fav. ba-kwa alone also... :(